Most action cams have to be operated manually, which can be difficult for surf stunts or fast downhill rides. The Sony FDR-X3000R 4K Actioncam, on the other hand, comes with a practical, waterproof remote control. Once attached to a wristband or handlebar, it allows users to quickly and easily change their picture and video settings. We present the Sony FDR-X3000R Actioncam in a test overview and clarify whether the purchase is worthwhile despite the comparatively high price of around 450 euros.
With FDR-X3000R Sony relies on high-quality equipment and many extras
With its ZEISS Tessar lens and the waterproof housing with a water depth of up to 60 metres, the FDR-X3000R makes a clear statement against cheap “no-name” products such as the NexGadget 4K action camera.
In addition, this high-quality action cam has a very special unique selling point: the remote control included in the scope of delivery enables a high degree of comfort thanks to its clear user interface. For example, the Actioncam can be mounted high up on a boat mast and still be operated very easily. As it does not have to be switched on before mounting, the battery is spared. Alternatively, the camera can also be operated via WLAN (or app) or switched on and off via Bluetooth connection.
Up to 5 Sony FDR-X3000R Actioncams can be operated via App
The Sony FDR-X3000R Actioncam is also a good choice when it comes to recording modes. Slow motion video, burst mode (continuous shooting), Motion Shot LE (multiple shots in one) and loop shooting are just some of the options Sony offers creative action fans. The Actioncam’s shooting angle can be extended up to 170 degrees so that even particularly fast manoeuvres can be seen in full.
Also handy: Sony has integrated a GPS module into the camera, which makes it possible to display positioning data in the video when using the Action Cam Movie Creator. In addition, speed data can be read from the video via GPS data overlay.
Additionally a free manufacturer App is available, with Action Filmer among other things a simple video treatment with time lapse to accomplish and/or videos slow down or accelerate can. If you like, you can operate up to five Sony FDR-X3000R Actioncams simultaneously. This results in particularly varied videos with many different viewing angles.
What is compatible with the Sony FDR-X3000R 4K Actioncam?
- Sony Action Cam App (Android | iOS)
- Cutting programs: Final Cut Pro X and iMovie, Action Cam Movie Creator (Ver. 5.1 for Windows, v.3.1 for Mac)
- Memory cards: the slot on the Actioncam takes memory cards from the Memory Stick Micro™ (M2) to the Micro SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card5 (class 4 or higher)
- Accessories available separately: including handlebar mount VCT-HM2, underwater housing MPK-UWH1 , roll bar mount VCT-RBM2 surfboard mount VCT-BDM1, dog harness for Action Cam AKA-DM1, more accessories can be found on the Sony FDR-X3000R product page of the manufacturer
Advantages of the Sony FDR-X3000R 4K Actioncam
- Waterproof up to 60 m
- Good image stabilization
- Live View Remote Control (can be attached to a wristband)
- Up to 5 cameras of this model can be operated simultaneously via Sony Action Cam App
Disadvantages of the Sony FDR-X3000R 4K Actioncam
- High-priced (more expensive than e.g. GoPro HERO7 Black)
- Images cannot be saved in RAW format
- Some users report overheating during prolonged use
Conclusion: High-quality, but expensive
We liked the many image and video editing modes, the high-quality workmanship and the good recording quality certified by many testers.
Overall, this action cam is comparatively expensive, but for future star directors who want to impress their viewers with wow effects through sports action films from different perspectives, there are currently only a few alternatives known to us. If you love the special, you have to accept the especially high price.
One possible alternative to the Sony FDR-X3000R 4K Actioncam is the GoPro HERO7 Black. It is “only” waterproof up to 10 meters and not up to 60 meters like Sony FDR-X3000R, but the GoPro model has voice control and touch display to offer. The slightly lower purchase price of the GoPro HERO7 Black Actioncam is, however, compensated by the much more expensive accessories.
Sony FDR-X3000R 4K Actioncam – Technical Details
- Camera Dimensions (W x H x D): Approx. 29.4 x 47.0 x 83.0 mm / Live View Remote Control Dimensions: 47.8 x 52.6 x 19.0 mm
- Camera Weight: Approx. 114 g (including supplied batteries)
- Rear Exposed EXMOR R® CMOS Sensor, Type 1/2.5 (7.20 mm)
- Waterproof: Up to 60 m with supplied underwater housing (MPK-UWH1)
- Photo size: Approx. 12.0 megapixels 16:9 (4608 x 2592)
- Video resolution: MP4 PS: 1920 x 1080 60p/50p, MP4 HQ: 1920 x 1080 30p/25p, MP4 STD: 1280 x 720 30p/25p, MP4 HS120 (HS100): 1280 x 720 120p/100p, MP4 HS240(HS200): 800 x 480 240p/200p, XAVC S: 3840 x 2160 30p/25p/24p, 1920 x 1080 120p/100p, 1280 x 720 240p/200p, 1920 x 1080 60p/50p/30p/25p/24p, 1080 60p/30p/25p/24p
- ZEISS Tessar Lens
- BIONZ X Image Processor
- Integrated stereo microphone
- Scope of delivery: Battery pack (NP-BX1), Micro-USB cable, quick start guide, underwater housing (MPK-UWH1), mounting buckle, Live-View Remote (RM-LVR3) with wrist strap, adapter holder and charging station
- More information about the technical details can be found on the Sony FDR-X3000R product page of the manufacturer.