Open Smart Home systems, such as Samsung SmartThings, have the advantage that they can be networked with a particularly large number of brands. In most cases it is enough to buy the manufacturer’s own hub to connect devices that do not actually work together. We show you how it works and present all SmartThings compatible products.
Samsung SmartThings makes home automation easier and cheaper
With some Smart Home systems, only the manufacturer’s own components can be networked. This means that anyone who discovers a particularly elegant luminaire in a special offer or wants to purchase the latest thermostat brands may have had bad luck. It is therefore worth investing around 220 euros in a SmartThings Hub. After all, many popular brands can then be controlled with it.
Which Smart Home devices are compatible with Samsung SmartThings?
Originally, the Samsung SmartThings system was aimed at US technology fans. This means that some compatible products are not yet available from us, or are only available with US connectors and plugs. Availability varies greatly depending on the dealer. We have therefore selected one or two proven brands in each category, which can definitely be purchased in Germany.
Samsung SmartThings compatible voici assistants for the Smart Home
Home automation is made even more convenient by integrating an smart speaker with voice control. So no one has to get up to switch their devices on or off manually. In this section, we recommend voice control via Amazon Alexa because of its even greater range of functions.
- Google products: Google Home Speakers (Google Assistant)
- Amazon products: Amazon Echo, Echo Dot or Amazon Tap Speakers (Amazon Alexa)
Samsung SmartThings compatible lights, illuminants and lamps
If you have connected your Samsung SmartThings system to the Alexa language assistant, all you have to do is shout: “Alexa, Partytime!” and the lamps automatically create an atmospheric ambience. But even without voice control, any number of different luminaires can be dimmed or switched off simultaneously via App control. This works particularly well with Philips Hue products, which have already won numerous tests and comparisons. Anyone looking for an inexpensive SmartThings-compatible alternative can also try out the OSRAM LIGHTIFY, LIFX, SYLVANIA or Sengled lamps also available in Germany.
- Cree lamps: Cree smart LED Bulb (A19)
- LIFX Lamps: LiFi Labs LIFX Original A21 Wi-Fi Smart LED Light Bulb, LiFi Labs LIFX White 800 or 1000 Wi-Fi LED Bulb (A19)
- Philips Hue lamps: Philips Hue White LED A19, Philips Hue White Ambiance A19, Philips Hue Go, Philips Hue Bloom (table lamp), Philips Hue Lightstrip Plus
- Sengled Lamps: Sengled Element Touch Color LED Bulb A19, Sengled Element Plus LED Bulb, Sengled Classic LED Bulb A19
- SYLVANIA lamps: SYLVANIA Smart A19 RGBW LED, SYLVANIA Color LED Lamp (RT5/6), SYLVANIA Color Garden Spot Mini Lamp (RT5/6), SYLVANIA Tunable White LED Bulb (BR30 or A19), SYLVANIA Color LED Bulb (BR30), SYLVANIA Color LED Indoor Flex Strip
- OSRAM LIGHTIFY lamps: OSRAM LIGHTIFY lamps are an inexpensive alternative to Philips Hue, the market leader, and of course they should not be missing from our overview. The following lamp models can be combined with Samsung SmartThings: Osram Smart Dimmable LED Light Bulb E27 RGB, OSRAM CLASSIC B Tunable White, OSRAM E14 Tunable White, OSRAM GU10 Tunable White, OSRAM GU10 RGBW, OSRAM Flex RGBW strips
Samsung SmartThings compatible Smart Home dimmers and switches
Lamp and device control via portable dimmers or switches makes sense above all if voice control has not already been installed and an addition to the SmartThings app is desired instead. Advice on the purchase and installation of these flush-mounted solutions should always be provided by experts.
- Aeotec Products: Aeotec Micro Smart Switch, Aeotec Micro Smart Dimmer
- Enerwave Products: Enerwave Inn-Wall Switch, Enerwave Inn-Wall Dimmer, Enerwave Plug-in Dimmer Modules (ZWN-323)
- GE Products: GE In-Wall Smart Switch (ZigBee or Z-Wave version), GE In-Wall Smart Dimmer Switch (ZigBee or Z-Wave version)
- Leviton Products: Leviton 600W Z-Wave Dimmer, Leviton 3-Speed Fan Controller, Leviton 600 or 1000W Incandescent Dimmer, , Leviton 5A Incandescent Switch, Leviton Magnetic Low Voltage Dimmer, Leviton Switch, Leviton Luminea Decora Wall Station, Leviton Lumine Receiver Switch, Leviton Universal Dimmer
- Lutron Products: Lutron Caséta Wireless 600W In-Wall Pro Switch, Lutron Caséta Wireless 600W In-Wall Dimmer
- Remotec Product: Remotec Technology Plug-In Dimmer
- SYLVANIA Product: SYLVANIA Smart Dimming Switch
Samsung SmartThings compatible smart WLAN adapters
The old coffee machine can be switched on with voice commands or the reading lamp can be dimmed with an app, and a WLAN adapter plug makes this easy. Such retrofit solutions, also known as WLAN sockets, connect conventional household appliances with the Samsung SmartThings system. Already available in Germany is, for example, the Aeon adapter plug from our overview.
- Aeon adapter plug: Aeon Smart Switch 6
- Enerwave adapter plug: Enerwave Duplex Receptacle
- iHome Products Adaptor: iHome iSP5 / iSP6X and iSP 8 SmartPlugs
- GE Adapter: GE Plug-In Smart Switch or Dimmer (ZigBee or Z-Wave version), GE Outdoor Light Plug-and-Control Power Outlet, GE In-Wall Smart Outlet
- Leviton Adapter: Leviton Plug-in Lamp Dimmer Module, Leviton Appliance Module, Leviton Outlet, Leviton Lumina RF Plug-In Outlet
- Samsung SmartThings proprietary adapter plug: Samsung SmartThings Outlet
Samsung SmartThings compatible sensors for home automation
In order for the individual devices of a Smart Home to be able to interact with each other, sensors are required that can register temperature differences, movements or moisture development. For example, a message can be sent to the smartphone when the WLAN washing machine is running out or the temperature in the holiday home drops too low. We find the Fibaro sensors particularly practical for this.
- Aeotec sensors: Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor, Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 5 and 6
- Centralite Sensors: Centralite Water Sensor, Centralite Micro Motion Sensor, Centralite Micro Door Sensor
- Ecolink products: Ecolink Tilt Sensor, Ecolink PIR Motion Detector with Pet Immunity, Ecolink Door/Window Sensor,
- Enerwave Sensors: Enerwave Magnetic Door/Window Sensor, Fibaro Door/Window Sensor
- Everspring Sensors: Everspring Water Detector
- Fibaro sensors: Fibaro Motion Sensor, Fibaro Flood Sensor
- First alert sensors: First Alert Smoke Detector, First Alert Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- FortrezZ sensors: FortrezZ Moisture Sensor
- GE Sensors: GE Portable Smart Motion Sensor
- JASCO Sensors: JASCO Hinge Pin Smart Door Sensor
- Iris sensors: Iris Smart Water Sensor, Iris Motion Sensor, Iris Contact Sensor
- Nortek sensors: Nortek GoControl Door Window Sensor
- Samsung SmartThings proprietary sensors: Samsung SmartThings Arrival Sensor, Samsung SmartThings Water Leak Sensor, Samsung SmartThings Motion Sensor, Samsung SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor
- Sensitive Sensor: Sensitive Strips
Samsung SmartThings security and surveillance cameras
According to the manufacturer, only Netgear cameras can be integrated into the Samsung SmartThings system. But at least the compatible models are very popular surveillance cameras that have already passed various practical tests in Germany with flying colors.
- Netgear Arlo
- Netgear Arlo Q
Samsung SmartThings: smart doorbells and door locks
Locking the front door quickly from the bus is usually rather difficult – unless you have a Samsung SmartThings system with app control. This allows us to see live images of the ring doorbells on the road or open our Yale lock to friends while we’re still on our way home.
- Ring Video Doorbell
- Ring Video Doorbell Pro
Electric WLAN door locks:
- Kwikset WLAN door locks: Kwikset SmartCode 914 and 916 Touchscreen Deadbolt Door Lock (ZigBee or Z-Wave version), Kwikset SmartCode 912 Lever Door Lock (ZigBee), Kwikset SmartCode 910 Contemporary Deadbolt Door Lock (ZigBee or Z-Wave version), Kwikset SmartCode 912 Lever Door Lock (Z-Wave), Kwikset SmartCode 910 Contemporary Deadbolt Door Lock (Z-Wave), Kwikset SmartCode 916 Touchscreen Deadbolt Door Lock (Z-Wave)
- Schlage WLAN Door Locks: Schlage Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt Door Lock, Schlage Century Touchscreen Deadbolt Door Lock
- Yale WLAN door locks: Yale Push Button Deadbolt Door Lock (B1L/YRD110), Yale Push Button Lever Door Lock (YRL210), Yale Touchscreen Deadbolt Door Lock (T1L/YRD120 or Model No. YRD240), Yale Touch Screen Lever Door Lock (YRL220), Yale Push Button Deadbolt Door Lock (YRD210), Yale Touch Screen Deadbolt Door Lock (YRD220), Yale Assure Lock with Bluetooth and Z-Wave
Samsung SmartThings: Smart thermostats for the heating system
Here, too, it is just as annoying to regulate each thermostat individually as it is to switch off all lamps manually in the evening. If you prefer to stay in bed or on the couch a little longer instead, we recommend the two brands ecobee and Honywell. Their smart thermostats are easy to set up and therefore also suitable for Smart Home beginners.
- ecobee WLAN thermostats: ecobee ecobee3 Thermostat EB-STATe3-01, ecobee ecobee3 lite Wi-Fi Thermostat EB-STATE3-01, ecobee Smart SI Thermostat, ecobee ecobee4 Thermostat EB-STATE4-01
- Honeywell WLAN thermostats: Honeywell Z-Wave Thermostat YTH8320ZW1007/U, Honeywell Total Connect Comfort Wi-Fi Thermostat TH9320WF5003
Samsung SmartThings: Smart speakers for perfect sound
The Bose speakers, which have been tried and tested for a long time, promise a fat sound. They’re the only speakers available for the Samsung SmartThings system, but those who have such good quality at their disposal don’t really need anything else. By the way, the Bose SoundTouch 20 is the most popular among German music fans and has already been among the top products in the performance comparisons of various portals. The only drawback: Bose speakers are not quite cheap.
- Bose SoundTouch 300 sound bar
- Bose SoundTouch Wave Music System
- Bose SoundTouch SA-4 or SA-5 Amplifier (Amplifier)
- Bose SoundTouch 520 Home Theater System
- Bose SoundTouch 120 or 130 Home Theater System
- Bose Lifestyle 650 Home Entertainment System
- Bose Lifestyle SoundTouch 123 / 525 or 535 Entertainment System
- Bose SoundTouch Portable Wi-Fi Music System
- Bose SoundTouch 10/ 20 or 30 Wireless Music System
Samsung SmartThings compatible hubs and control centers
No Smart Home system can do without a control centre as the heart of the system. It connects the individual devices and converts human app or voice commands into technical signals that can be implemented by other devices. The following control centres and sets are compatible with the SmartThings hub and suitable as optional add-ons:
- Samsung Security Hub
- Samsung Connect Home Smart Wi-Fi System
- Samsung Connect Home Smart Wi-Fi System PRO
- Samsung SmartThings Home Monitoring Kit
Other devices and services compatible with Samsung SmartThings
Is that all you can do? Not at all! The list of Samsung SmartThing compatible products is constantly growing and includes many other product categories and services in addition to those mentioned above. For example these here:
- Apple Watch
- Bose SoundTouch Wireless Link adapter
- EVEConnect (Tesla Dashboard Remote Control)
- Aeotec Siren (Gen 5)
- FortrezZ: FortrezZ Siren Strobe Alarm, FortrezZ Water Valv
- Garmin Smart Watch
- Halo Smart Labs Halo Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Halo Smart Labs Halo+ Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Plus Weather Alerts
- Leak Intelligence Leak Gopher Water Shutoff Valve
- Linear GoControl Garage Door Opener (Garage Opener)
- Samsung Connect App for Android