The Aqara Smart Home is considered an affordable smart home system from the Xiaomi universe. The smart home button called Aqara Wirless Mini Switch should make the operation of the smart components even easier. We took a closer look at the Aqara Smart Button and explained in the test check what interested parties should consider before buying.
Aqara Wireless Mini Switch – a real smart switch recommendation
Aqara is a smart home brand from the Xiaomi smart home universe, which stands out with affordable prices and a beautiful design. The Aqara Wireless Smart Button is no exception. However, the button is a system component. So the Aqara Smart Home Center is also required. In addition, the system is designed for Apple HomeKit use and the Aqara Smart Home System does not fully support the popular voice assistant Alexa.
So is the Aqara Wireless Mini Switch ultimately a recommendation? Yes, but in our eyes only for Apple HomeKit users who rely on the Aqara Smart Home System in connection with the Aqara Hub when it comes to smart home . Then the function button is a cheap alternative and offers a long range because it establishes the connection via ZigBee instead of Bluetooth.
|Compact, beautiful design||Requires Aqara Hub|
|Long range thanks to the ZigBee radio standard||Strong focus on HomeKit|
Aqara Wirless Mini Switch – design and features
The design of the Aqara Wireless Mini Switch follows the design of the other smart home components from the manufacturer: rounded corners on the housing and round controls ensure a pleasant appearance. The control button cuts a good figure and does not look cheap.
The Aqara Wirless Mini Switch can also be glued to the wall or a door thanks to the supplied adhesive film. This allows users to use the smart button from the Xiaomi family as a smart doorbell. However, the button does not have an IP protection class, so it is only designed for indoor use. A CR2032 button battery provides enough energy to supply the intelligent button with power for up to two years. The operational readiness is indicated by a small indicator light.
Communication with the smart home center takes place via the energy-saving ZigBee standard . The Aqara Hub in EU version is also required for this. A disadvantage of the smart button is already evident here. The Chinese manufacturer Aqara had to set up its own European product line for Aqara that complies with the GDPR regulations. Aqara achieves this by not sending the data to the Chinese cloud servers, but by handing them over to HomeKit. Positive: thanks to ZigBee, the range of the Aqara button is significantly longer than that of a smart button that connects via Bluetooth.
Aqara Wireless Mini Switch – the functions of the smart button
The Aqara Wireless Mini Switch can be coupled with other HomeKit-enabled products in the Apple Home app, so that users can also use the Smart Home Button to control other compatible devices.
Aqara Smart Home users can assign three functions to the Smart Button. These are accessed either by pressing once, pressing twice quickly or by long pressing the Aqara Wireless Mini Switch. The following scenarios are conceivable with the Aqara Smart Button:
- Light switch for switching compatible lamps on and off
- Emergency button with which, for example, an alarm can be triggered
- Turning connected compatible smart home devices on and off
- Door bell: When used as an door bell , the user receives information on his smartphone, for example
Overall, the Aqara Wirless Mini Switch should have a lifespan of up to 50,000 button presses.
Installation and setup of Aqara Wireless Mini Switch
The installation and setup of the Aqara Smart Button is simple and can be done quickly in just four steps:
- Activate the battery inside the Aqara Wireless Mini Switch by pulling out the contact blocking film on the tab.
- Tap on “Home” in the Aqara app and add the Aqara Smart Button via the plus symbol. The Aqara Hub is necessary to operate the button.
- Place the Aqara Wireless Mini Switch at the desired location and press the reset button. If the Aqara Hub signals operational readiness, the ZigBee radio connection is sufficient.
- Now the Aqara Smart Button can be stuck to the wall if desired. Simply peel off the adhesive protective film on the back and press the button in place.
What is compatible with Aqara Wireless Mini Switch
The Aqara Wireless Mini Switch requires the Aqara Hub to operate. The Switch is also HomeKit compatible.
Aqara Wireless Mini Switch – Technical details
- Model no. WXKG11LM
- Battery: CR2032 button cell
- Radio protocol: ZigBee
- Working temperature: -10 degrees Celsius to +55 degrees Celsius
- Dimensions: 45 x 45 x 12 mm